Saturday, October 9, 2010

FEELING THE HEAT LET’S HAVE ICE-CREAM!

As the weather warms up & the ovens heat up what better way to cool down than with a bowl of ice-cream!

Did you know the origins of ice cream can be traced back to at least the 4th century B.C. Early references were of “snow ice-cream” where the Roman emperor Nero (A.D. 37-68) ordered ice to be brought in from the mountains to which fruit, nectar & honey were added, & Emperor Tang (A.D. 618-97) of China had a method of creating various ice & milk concoctions.

It is believed that ice cream was brought back from China by Marco Polo in 1295. He had returned to Italy from China with a new recipe of adding yak milk into snow in order to make it creamy.

And in 1533 when Catherine de Medici of Florence was to become the Queen of France, one of the items she had taken with her was the recipe for frozen milk.  Soon many of the cooks in France were making ice-cream, with one French chef being the first to add flavours of chocolate & strawberry, & opening a store dedicated to selling this frozen treat.


Loving these play food made from felt

My favourite ice-cream of all time was from my first trip back to Hong Kong having just graduated from high school. It was a mango ice-cream manufactured by a local ice-cream company purchased from the corner stall. Packaged in a small tub it was the most aromatic, flavoursome, smooth & creamy ice-cream I have ever had! 

During my three months stay despite being the winter months, I would have a tub every second to third day. And many years later as I once again returned, I was disappointingly informed the mango ice-cream had been discontinued, superseded by fancier frozen treats from Europe & Japan.

So what’s my favourite ice-cream of late?

Banana Sundae!


Banana Sundae Cupcakes

A light & fluffy banana cupcake with vanilla cream cheese frosting, banana chip, waffle piece, marshmallow & sprinkles, drizzled with chocolate or strawberry ice-cream topping.


Would you like chocolate or strawberry ice-cream topping?

A cupcake for the young or for those who are just young at heart.
 

Banana Sundae cupcakes will be featured at our Spring Fair stall!

Tell me Dear Readers what’s your favourite ice-cream?

5 comments:

  1. I think you are refering to the Apollo ice-cream shop in Hong Kong.... It was my favourite ice-cream shop too! I recalled the shop lady would put few blocks of sliced mango into a plastic cup, then mixed it with a white thing (the cream base, I guess) by a machine that made loud noises. Wait for a minute or two, then came the frozon mango ice-cream!! Tell you what, I found one Apollo shop still surviving in Causeway Bay, please do visit Hong Kong (and me) if you crave for the ice-cream!! Hmmmm.. I might go for a cup tmr.... heheheh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vanessa,

    Could possibly be.

    But was there a business called "Ice-cream Company" or "Milk Company" in HK who manufactured ice-cream locally?

    Hahaha, thx for the invite!The thought of a holiday packed with good food & shopping is becoming more & more attractive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh! Your post reminded me of how things never seem to taste as good as they used to! Mango icecream in HK sounds amazing as does a whole variety of things I can think of!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you've decorated your latest cupcake creations =] very adorable!

    Also, how did your friend learn how to make felt food? They're really cute! I'm going to have to start googling tutorials lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ps. Forgot to answer your question lol... Hmm.. I love all ice cream flavours, but the classic favourite would have to be a chocolate variation =D

    ReplyDelete