Friday, September 17, 2010

PETITE (LIKE ME!)

A little more about me.

I was born in Hong Kong & immigrated to Australia with my parents in their quest for a better life for their three children at the age of seven. Though not born in Australia I definitely consider myself an Australian & unfortunately with time a tourist during my visits to Hong Kong as the surroundings, the language, the culture is no longer familiar.

White Jasmine Macarons:
Almond Macaron shells filled with Jasmine infused White Chocolate Ganache

Did you know:
Bamboo is a Chinese symbol for Longevity because of its durability, strength, flexibility & resilience surviving in the harshest of conditions

...And Jade is a symbol of beauty, nobility & perfection

I’m a diligent student & despite my parents’ lack of strict discipline throughout my years of studies, understandably preoccupied with making a living to financially support their family, we were often reminded of the importance of education & good grades as it will provide a gateway to many career opportunities, which one day will lead to great financial rewards.

So equipped with this knowledge I entered into two professions in Healthcare. Thus, with my Healthcare background I genuinely believe that sweets are treats and should be only petite!


Red Lychee Macaron:
Red Almond macaron shells filled with Lychee infused White Chocolate Ganache

Red Lychee Macarons - Lychee is a Chinese fruit having a red thin brittle shell enclosing a white translucent sweet jellylike pulp & a single seed (one of my favourite summer fruits!)

“Petite(Like Me!)” is absolutely true!

Despite being the eldest, I’m also the smallest in size. My rationale to this injustice (LOL) is my deprivation of the Australian air, food & sun to the age of seven in comparison to my siblings (but bring this up with my mother & she will debate otherwise & say it was my lack of interest in swimming as a child. I know...I know...not interested in swimming...so Un-Australian). And being petite my threshold for fullness is quite low, so when I too witnessed the trend & increasing popularity of miniature desserts I was applauding with both hands (& feet) in the air!

Starting at this corner of my world with macarons & cupcakes I hope to one day include in my sweet petite range mini cakes, verrines, mini tarts & mini’s much, much more.


Share with you a festival which will take place next week.

The Mid-Autumn Festival is one of the most important celebrations in the Chinese calendar. A national holiday, the festival is held on the 15th day of the eighth month of the lunar calendar, falling this year on the 22nd of September. The date parallels the autumnal equinox of the solar calendar & on this day, the night is believed to be the longest & the moon the most luminous & fullest. The full moon on this night is a symbol for reunion where families gather to celebrate & give thanks to their blessings of unity.

White Jasmine Macarons, Red Lychee Macarons & Mooncake
in celebration of the festival

Mooncake is a sweet Chinese pastry eaten on this festive occasion
(doesn't the macaron shell on top of the mooncake create an image of a little Emperor wearing a red regal crown?) 

Traditionally mooncakes are round or rectangular in shape measuring about 10cm in diameter & 4-5cm thick. The filling is usually made from lotus seed paste cased by a thin crust pastry with a salted duck yolk placed in the middle of the cake. Don't be alarmed by this paste/yolk combination as the flavours of sweet & salty are well harmonised resulting in an overall sweet taste. And because of its sweet nature the cake is usually eaten in small wedges accompanied with sips of Chinese tea (my favourite jasmine tea!).


 Celebrating the Mid-Autumn Festival
(a cross section of the cake shows the round yolk representing the full moon on the night)

Tell me Dear Readers a little more about YOU









4 comments:

  1. Those jasmine macs look stunning! Great flavours. I hope you have a fab moon festival too, I'm going to pig out this Sunday at Cabra :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Phuoc for your comment. One of my favourite festivals in the Chinese calendar. Mooncakes...yummmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your designs! Certainly Asian-inspired. :) The red lychee ones look especially yum.

    I've never really liked mooncake all that much; it's nice in moderation but can get too heavy. My favourite festival is probably Chinese/Lunar New Year (ahaha still young enough to get money! XD), partly because of the variety of dishes that my family traditionally cooks and prepares. In terms of more dessert-related festivals, I like tangyuan any time of the year, though it's apparently a Winter Solstice dish. ;)

    I really miss food in Singapore (where I come from), but I'm starting to get used to the prices here, and appreciate that there is also a nice variety.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jenn,

    Thank-you for your lovely words.

    Chinese New Year is my favourite festival too but now (with the exception of my parents)I've become the giver instead of the receiver of red packets..lol..I love tangyuan during the Chinese New Year for it's meaning but also on a cold winter's night with ginger infused sweet soup, so warm & comforting (my favourite flavour is peanut!).

    Singapore is one of my holiday destinations which I really enjoy. My memories of the assortment of seafood, satays & desserts from Singapore still makes my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete